Free Counters
Kennedy Western University Online

Friday, July 06, 2007

"I'm Out!"


Remember that famous scene from Sienfeld where, about 20 minutes after a wager between Elaine, George, Kramer, and Jerry, Kramer bursts into Jerry’s apartment, slams $100 bucks on the table and proclaims, “I’m out.”

Well, I’m sort of making that same proclamation.

I’ve had the worst run lately.
My golf career is over! I’ve lost my last golf wager. I’ve played my last horrible round of golf. I’ve spent my last dollars on this hopeless pursuit. I’m out!

I’ve also burned through every last dollar in my poker stash. Some of this money was lost playing poker. Most of it on other crap.

The last debacle came from a rebuy tourney/cash game on Saturday night.

SWIM UPSTREAM
First, I digress. I’m thoroughly convinced that in order to succeed a poker, you must follow a strategy that works well in the stock market and in real estate. That is, you need to “swim upstream”. If everyone is selling stocks, you should be looking to buy. If everyone is buying, you should be looking to liquidate. It’s the same thing in poker. If the table is playing loose-aggressive, you should be playing snug and solid. If the table is playing tight/passive, you should be attacking pots.

REBUY STRATEGY
So, how is this related to the rebuy tournament? I’ve read different experts talk about the optimal rebuy strategy and their opinions are all over the place. Some recommend really trying to build a big stack by playing hyper aggressive and rebuying, if necessary, multiple times. Other experts recommend playing a little tighter than normal and playing hands that you would consider calling an all-in push from a hyper aggressive player.

I’m starting to think that the optimal rebuy strategy is to just swim upstream. If you are at one of those hyper-aggressive tables, sit back and pick your spots. If you are at one of those tight/passive tables, attack-attack-attack.

THE TOURNEY
On Saturday night, I was at a pretty tight table during the rebuy period. We had about 9 rebuys in the first hour and a half. I had worked my stack up from 2000 to 3500 by just playing solid, normal poker. I never really had any significant number of chips at risk. Toward the end of the rebuy period, I was on the button with 5-5. The UTG player, who had nursed a short stack for about 45 minutes, had just returned from the walk of shame to the rebuy desk. He was stacking his four $500 chips but found a hand he could limp with. This was followed by two more calls. Then, a somewhat tricky player in middle position raised it to $150 (3x the big blind). This was a small raise. It made me think that he was more trying to juice up the pot than protect a big hand. I really started to assign to him all of the big drawing hands (AJs, 9-10s, etc…). His raise was followed by 2 more calls by players who really did not like to lay a hand down preflop. I can’t give them credit for any strength here. Plus, these two had made several rebuys, so I thought they may be a little “gun shy” at this point.

So with action to me, the pot had $675, I decided to push in $3500. I really didn’t see any strength around the table. The table had been playing pretty tight. I thought there was a real good chance it would be folded around. Worse case, I’d get called by someone who just refused to let a hand like A-J go.

The UTG player, Hespy, made the call and commented that he was planning to push if I wouldn’t have beat him to it. He tables a K-Jo. I’m a small favorite in a $2000 hand, but I have $650 as an overlay. I’m pretty happy about this situation…..that is, until the turn card dashes my optimism. I’m down to $1500 with about 20 minutes left in the round. I then give him some crap about calling off his fresh stack with a hand that is easily dominiated. In end, he was not looking to just limp past the rebuy period either. He was looking for a spot to gamble and double up. He did....via me.

I decide right then and there, I’m not limping into the next stage with 2000 in chips. I’m either going to bust out or build my stack. I switch into high gear. I start pushing with any naked Ace. I even pushed twice with K9. I'm not called once. On the last hand of the period. It's raised to $150 in MP. I have A-10 and push. I really thought I get called here. I didn't. Next thing you know, the rebuy period is over and I have 3500 in chips again and no rebuys. Not too bad!

Shortly after the rebuy period, we condense to 2 tables. I could sense play tightening up, except for two live players with mountains of chips at the opposite end of the table. I play a little looser than normal and am able to work my stack up to around $10k. I fully realize that it will only be a matter of time before one of these big stacks at the opposite end of the table decides to put an end to my aggression by making a stand with a hand like A-10 or 6-6. Anyway, with blinds at $200/$400, I raise for the umpteenth time from middle position to $1500 with 7-7. A big stack at the end of the table makes a large re-raise to about $8000 which has me covered. I really got the sense that this was more of a “please fold” bet than a “please call” bet. If he had a big hand, he might even just call in position and let me, the maniac, bluff off my chips. I’m really thinking that he was making that “stand” that I was anticipating. Plus, I put 20% of my stack into the pot already. So, I went with my read that he held a hand like A-K, A-Q, A-J, A-10. I call. Ali says, “you’re good” and shows A-Q. Nice read! I’m pretty pleased. This is my chance to double up and move up. That is….until the turn card.

I’m out! Down $80.

CASH GAME
Then, the cash game was bad. I misplayed $100 pot. We were playing 4 handed with 4 solid players. Everyone was complaining that the game sucked. I was thinking the only way to make money would be to catch a miracle hand against someone. Just then, I’m dealt 4-4 on the button. The button had been raising about 85% of the time. I raised as well. The BB, Eileen, raised to $12. I thought for a few seconds that she was tired of getting her BB raised and she might be making a play with any Ace. Plus, I really thought that she would be willing to lay down a small pocket pair (8s on down) if she had one. So, I re-raise to $100. What a donkey? I could have made this same move for $50. Anyway, she insta-calls me and shows KK. I’m dead. Reload.

Then, I lost my last $100 when the deck went cold and I was dealt two really good, but 2nd best hands. On the last had I’m dealt K-K. It’s 4 way action to the flop. With $24 in the pot, it goes SB bet $15, UTG call, MPP (me) push for $35, Button fold. The pot has $54. This is going to be a really nice pot that I win especially if it goes call, call. Instead, it goes, SB all in, UTG fold. SB shows a 6-9 for a flopped straight on a board of 7-8-10.

Anyway. I’m down $300.
Like Krammer says, "I’m out!"

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?